JASON & ERIN STEWART

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Friday, April 22, 2005

Kigali week 1

Today marks my first week here in Kigali. Among that first are many other first like....drum roll....MY FIRST PHONE CALL!!!!!!! And my first international phone call too. The wonderful person who now has ownership of Erin's first phone call(in Rwanda) is THERESA BIRNIE!!!! It was one of the best conversations on the phone I have ever had. And it TOTALLY made my day!!! I love you Theresa!!! You are the coolest. I loved talking to you. Let's have a race now to see who the second caller will be;) haha I am such a scammer. BTW Angie and anyone else who was wondering my contact information is in a previous blog called "Contacting sperin in Rwanda" or something to that effect. If it's not in April then it is at the end of march. Let me know if you find it. And just for your information Theresa got a phone card and can have 45 minutes for get this $5.00 !!!

Yesterday we had 3 very special treats. Lasanga(so good btw..Jen ROCKS)and Banana Cake (which I had 2 big pieces of)which Jen made them in the coal heated oven...and get this ICE CREAM...it was SO good. We had it at the Legalett(sp?) the european shop where you see other Muzunga's (white people). That's one of the few Kirwandan words I know.
Muzunga - white person(I hear it ALL the time)
Kimirungho - that is the area of town I live in
Rackosay - thank you (i have no idea if i am spelling these words correctly)
Mamoogi - town
Oiya - No (i hate this word because I have to say it so much to people selling stuff or asking for money)
Yeago - Yes
I think that's most of them. Hopefully my vocabullary will grow. And most of those actually probably all are spelt wrong, I just spelt them how they sound.

2 days ago we had a visitor in our room...a big disgusting (D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G for you Vanessa) cockroach. It was sick...good thing Jen was there she beat that thing with her shoe while I hide on my bed!

Yesterday we went to the market. It was an adventure. They see the muzunga's and are all over you like a fat kid on a smartie! There was the cutest boy there who saw me and came over and grabbed my hand! I just stood and talked (well tried talking with him) and kept on holding his sweet little hand. He started to walk with me as we turned to leave but then ran to his mom. I could have easily taken him home...he was cute!

I am getting used to taken the sardin can, I mean bus. When you are at a stop with lots of people you just gotta push your way in...literally!

Well I have a meeting to go to today at a women's shelter where they take in girls off the street. I think all of them have AIDS or are HIV+. I think on fridays I will be teaching english at Marion's. She is a woman who takes in all kinds of street kids. She gives them a home and pastors them. She is an incredible woman. On sundays I will be helping with sunday school there.

Well I think that's about all for now. Thank you so much for your comments and your emails, they are a constant source of joy!
With much love,
Erin
Colossians 1:16b
"everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him." (the message)
p.s. By the way I started "The Purpose Driven Life" yesterday and that was the verse of the day.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:20 PM , Blogger amanda said...

    hey erin,
    it's sooo great to hear you're doing so well! i'm proud to know you and to be able to consider you a friend. it was great to see you easter weekend and to finally spend some time together (i love my parent's hot tub!). it's hard when everyone's so far apart to keep in touch, but it was nice that when we were together that weekend, it felt just like normal and like no time had passed.
    be safe, and know that i'm thinking of you!

    love,
    amanda

     
  • At 7:15 AM , Blogger the_dawntreader said...

    I love you erin...I'm praying hardcore tonight!

     
  • At 12:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi, Erin,
    Greetings from Sudbury! Glad to know that you made it there all right. I enjoy reading about your adventures in your blog. I am so excited for you. Very sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Pastor Jack told everyone at church today about her so I'm sure lots of prayers will be offered up on your behalf. May He be very close to you & comfort you at this time. Take care. With love & prayers,
    Sharon Somers

     
  • At 12:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ERIN!!! i can't believe i didn't get the first call blog! what am i thinking!? i'll hafta get on this phoning list! so it sounds like you had some good foods! and i agree with you when you say your 'vocabullary' is in dire need of growth! ;) those are some coolio words though!
    anyway, hopefully i'll get talking to you soon!
    love ya,
    vaness

    (ps...cockroaches are D-I-S-G... HAHAHAHA!!)

     
  • At 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hahah erin gotta love those coackroaches...especially those insanely GINORMOUS ones that have a disturbingly loud crunch when you crush them!!
    i feel your pain hahah....
    Glad to hear you are totally loving it there though..sounds amazing what you are doing :D
    Thinking about ya
    Heidi 8)

     
  • At 4:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

  • At 10:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Where did you find it? Interesting read video editing schools

     
  • At 8:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Excellent, love it! » » »

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home