JASON & ERIN STEWART

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Monday, April 18, 2005

A wee more detail

So the last blog told you almost nothing. Well let my tell you that electricity is a luxury. I had written a very long detailed blog about some of my experience thus far and as I was about to send it we lost power! So this is the second blog of the night and hopefully no more than this! Since I have been here we have only lost power 4 times. Jen tells me that this is REALLY good. It doesn't seem to bother me much as I don't really need it for too much.

Wow so yeah I am here! The flights were actually good and dare I say.... Fun!!! I know I know your all like what hte heck was she on? Well I did take some homeopathy stuff before flying but on every flight I somehow managed to get a window seat. I think that helped or at least I got to see some BEAUTIFUL scenery. Besides flying the flights went well I was able to find my gates without any problems. In Ethiopia there was a man who basically took care of me the ENTIRE time untill we arrived in Kigali. That was a huge blessings as I am sure I would still be in Addis Ababa(Ethiopia) trying to figure out what the guys wanted me to do. In Ethiopia we had a 14 hours layover so when our plane arrived at night we were taken to a cute little hotel for a couple hours rest. Resting was hard and I couldn't figure out why...then I looked at the clock. It was 3pm at home and that's why I couldn't fall asleep. Jet leg can be rough. In the morning we headed out into the bus to head back to the airport to catch out flight. It was on this drive that I first saw and understood the word poverty. People sleeping on the street, children begging, and blank stares of hopelessness could be seen all over. At times it was too much and I had to look at my feet.
Arriving in Kigali I know that Ethiopia will not be the only place I see poverty. Already I have seen many people mostly children begging me for food or money. Because I am white to most think that I am abundantly rich.

Being white in an all black culture is very new and weird to me. People stare ALL the time. In church we had to sit in the front as guest of honor and stand up so everyone could see us. That was interesting but at the same time welcoming. As one of the men said we are different on the outside but have the same spirit inside. The children will whisper and giggle to their friends and often they wave. I wave back to them. I feel a sense of apprehension from some people, and this is understandable as they have little trust due to the genocides of 94'. Today I met a guy about my age who had lost both his parents and 6 of his brothers and sisters in the genocides. His one surviving sister lives in Paris so he is alone here. Jen tells me that this is normal.

I am living with a Evelyn and her children Deborah and Daniel. They are a local Rwandan family who examplify the word servant. They are great people and I feel very welcome. Also I am lov'n the food. I was really worried about that but I really like most everything I have tried. And they have the BEST baby banana's EVER...oh my goodness they rock!

I haven't done too much over the past few days other than trying to orient myself and get over the jet-lag. It is hard at night I find because I want to sleep but I can't seem to fall asleep till late at night well early in the morning. Jen says a day per timezone so after a week I should be into the swing of things.

I want to make sure that I remember to thank you for your prayers. They mean SO much to me and they are much needed and well recieved. Also your emails are a great encouragement to me. I will do my best to reply but I think blogging will be the easiest way to communicate. But do know that I was full of smiles reading about you and your lives back home. BTW congrats to Angie and Cody soon to be Mr. and Mrs. Cody and Angie McEwen:)

Whatelse Whatelse, there is so much that I know I could never write it all down. Please know that I love you all and that being here is where God wants me to be. Your encouragement is much needed and appreciate and never goes unnoticed. Thank you thank you thank you.

I want to post this before we lose power again. Thank you for your love and prayers. I love you very much and pray that God will keep you safe until we can met again.

With much love,
Erin

p.s. and just a note of humour...we were sitting in the car today and now I have one really red arm and one really white arm....hahaha. Jen was laughing at me, well I was laughing at me too.

Zephaniah 3:17
"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

4 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    YA ERIN!!!! im so excited for you, and with you! i cant wait to hear all the stories! good verse BTW ;)
    so ya, i will continue praying for you obviously. i cant imagine what it must be like seeing such sadness!
    blog agian soon...or email me!
    love ya,
    vaness

     
  • At 8:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Erin,
    I too am soooo excited for you! It's amazing that you are actually there right now!! It is strange to have people stare at you all the time. I expect more so where you are than when I was in Thailand. Anyway great to hear you made it safely. We are praying for you and will continue to. Hope you get that other arm reddened up so you have a matching set!!LOL. God Bless You Mightily!
    Trish Dwyer

     
  • At 6:31 PM , Blogger the_dawntreader said...

    Nice! Keep rawking in the free world...Remember spiders are bad, Scorpions you can play with and snakes, Just whip them like a whip, and their heads pop off.

     
  • At 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home