JASON & ERIN STEWART

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

ED KNOWS ELVIS!!!

Hello my dear friends.
I recieved some of the most exciting news this afternoon as I opened my blog to read the wonderful comments. Today is a special day. My new blogger friend Ed (who is beating EVERYONE in the comment department) knows and is friends with my hero. I can hardly breath. For those of you who know me well you all know who that great Canadian, that I so deeply admire is. But for those of you who don't I will tell you. The great Canadian, that I admire and have HUGE respect for is the one and only ELVIS STOJKO
I can't believe that you know him Ed. That is so cool. I was so mad(ok an understatement I was full or rage!) when he only got silver in Lillihammer, and I cried when he skated in Nagano. He makes me proud to be Canadian. If I could pick one person to have dinner with it would be him. He is my hero(one of them)! Do you think he'd come to Rwanda for a visit:)?
I seem to get more comments when I ask questions. So who is your hero?

So today I went to a primary school where I will be helping out at and teaching at for 3-4 days of the week. The kids range in age from 3-6, and they all came out of the cute farm! Seriously I want to take them all home...OH yeah AND I got to hold a 1 and 1/2 month old baby today. She was so cute, and her name was Faith.

I am starting to get the schedule for my time here in Rwanda. Tuesday-Friday I will at the Primary school in the mornings. Tuesday and Thursday afternoon I will be teaching English to the woman at the woman's association and Fridays afternoons I will be teaching english at Marion's (the woman's shelter). The class hasn't even started there yet and already there are over 150 people that want to learn english! YIKES! That's alot! On sundays I will teach sunday school in the morning at Marion's and in the afternoon I will do English with the children at the woman's association. Saturdays will be my day off and Mondays will be a prep day. So that looks like my week.

The team comes friday and I will be staying with them at the lighthouse resort. I think they have hot water AND showers...hehehheheheh!

I am hoping to get online at least one more time before the team comes, but if not I look forward to your response about your hero.
I pray this blog finds you all well.
With much love,
Erin

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"
-Philippeans 4:4

12 Comments:

  • At 10:28 AM , Blogger Ed Doerksen said...

    wow, 150 women to learn English, now that is a challenge. Some of them may have a base or understanding of some English, a good idea would be to find out where they are and go from there. Use pictures of common things for them that they would know and understand. What a start. That should be a most awsome challenge.

    Erin, no problems in linking my blog, in fact I feel honoured that you would do that. Thanks.

    I wish you well when you visit the refuge camp. You will see a lot and I have yet to hear of anyone going to a refuge camp and not coming out that same as they went in.

    Children are so awsome to teach. They are like spunges and absorb all that they can. The kids on the swim team I coach are just like that. They want to know more and do more. I always have to tell them that they're swimming for themselves and not for me, but I don't know how much that sinks in.

    Next week I start living a Park while working there so I won't be able to be on the computer as much as I am now. I'll be on once a week though, so I will catch up with blogs and comments.

    Have a great week serving. God bless.

     
  • At 1:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ok ed...youre putting me to shame in the best friend department because you are the blog comment champion!! lol...
    anyway, i gotta go cause kari's picking me up from my first day of work!! hehe...yes erin, i will expound on this in an email, or possibly on the phone this wkend or somethin..
    love ya,

    vaness
    (ps ed, continue on...i enjoy reading your comments too ;)

     
  • At 7:06 AM , Anonymous Rhoda said...

    Hey Erin - I just wanted to say that YOU ARE MY HERO!! Honestly - leaving the comforts of home and friends for 4 months in the middle of Africa with mosquitoes, no showers, and teaching English and Sunday School etc. etc. - I would be terrified! I think I could get over the shower part, but I get nervous just thinking about having to come up with ideas for teaching English (something I have never done) and Sunday school and all that. But I am convinced that God gives us what we need to do what He calls us to do. We just need to make ourselves available. So, you are my hero for stepping out of your comfort zone and making yourself available to God - I can't wait to hear what He does in/through you next! :) Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us all :)
    Luv,Rhoda.

     
  • At 5:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Erin
    I don't read these very often cuz it costs me more than I can afford out at sea... but I read this one and I just wanted you to know that YOU are my hero.

    PS. Don't ever bring this up again because I may never admit to saying it :)

    your sis
    amy

     
  • At 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Erin,
    The work you are doing is wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't think Elvis Stojko is such a wonderful guy off-ice. Wonderful skater, yes, but...

     
  • At 5:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Have you met Elvis? I've always wanted to meet him.How did he act to you?

     
  • At 11:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    stojko is ugly and bald now

     
  • At 9:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    He's not bald.He has a buzz cut.Which will eventually grow out.

     
  • At 12:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Stojko looks like a skinhead. He looks like an old guy.

     
  • At 7:55 AM , Anonymous Strangegodsbeforeme said...

    Erin, Bravo to you for the work you do, the world is a better place with people like you in it.

    Ed, rather than post on two blogs, (I received a link to yours as well in an Email-more about that in a second) You're not only articulate, but you address some very interesting topics as well.

    To the Elvis disser - and your anonymous identities as well - thanks for some of the links you sent me via Email - I've read up on some informative topics - right up to your comments...all negative about Stojko - what's your beef and why are you sending me these links? Some appear to be old posts of yours...What did you do, log them all so you could share them? Get a life already!

     
  • At 7:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is very interesting site... »

     
  • At 12:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home