JASON & ERIN STEWART

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Incredible Day - Incredible God

Yesterday in Rwanda I played volleyball at a Congolesse Refugee camp !!! That’s incredible. It was so fun and the people were so excited to have a white person who was female and good play with them. It was an incredible experience being at the refugee camp. At times it was hard to be there. Seeing the horrible living conditions! We drove through some seriously windy and hilly roads and our first view of the camp was breath-taking. Amidst the beauty of the Rwandan country side lies a sea of white tarps. These mud huts are ‘home’ for over 18 000 Congolesse people. Ironically enough the land and home they love and desperately want to return to, the Congo, is visible from the camp.
There is a lack of everything ; food, clothing, school, supplies, education, soap, everything. It is a sad state of affairs and it seems that it won’t be changing either. These people are losing hope.
We were able to bring bibles and other supplies to the camp which were appreciated and needed. But being there I realize just how little we could do. While I believe one person can make a difference, I realize that I can't help everyone I want to. But I also realized that if you can breath you can help someone. Before going up Josh (a team member) did a devotion asking the question 'what prevents people from going and serving others?' You may think I am being rash or rude but quite frankly I believe in North America we are too selfish to help. Not all of us but I'd say that's the main reason. Sure we can say we have no money or no time or we aren't qualified. Jane blew bubbles with the kids...if you can breath your qualified. Today I am wrestling with some questions, the most prevalent...Where are God's people?!
God gave me a gift in that I am very athletic. Funny enough I LOVE sports. God used my love for him and my love for sports to show his love to the people at the camp. I played volleyball at a refugee camp! You have gifts from God! USE THEM!!!
Now I am not saying I am perfect, in fact I have been 'too busy, not rich enough, and unqualified' for too long. But I can play volleyball andusing my gifts is as rewarding for me as it was for the people I was with.

How will you use your gifts?

Blessings and Love, Erin
p.s. I realize this is short but time is limited...I also want to say that this team is FANTASTIC and INCREDIBLE. Amazing people who I have come to love.

11 Comments:

  • At 3:06 PM , Blogger Ed Doerksen said...

    an awsome and incredable posting Erin. I just got in from work after a week in the park, so I was eager to read what you had posted.

    It is awsome that you have gifts to give. It is awsome that you are where you are. It is awsome that you are experiencing what you are.

    As I sit and ponder your words, I begin to do some soul searching and asking myself questions as well. I guess you have more gifts than you realise.

    What you have described in the camp, is what I have only seen on the idot box called a television. Even televiosion can not give a person the full impact of what you have experienced.

    God bless you in your adventures. You are making an impact on more than just a few people.

     
  • At 5:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ERIN! that's a sweeeet blog! im sure you are overjoyed to be playing some vball over there! i wish i could just spend one day with you to catch up and see all the things you're seeing! the beauty and the tragedy...but even with the tragedy we can still rejoice that our God is amazingly, wonderful (plus many more adjectives)!!!

    love ya and miss ya,
    vaness

     
  • At 3:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Erin - I posted this wickedly well written, from the gut blog to the front page of our website. What a call to action on the part of the church... oh man, are you ever starting to swing that conviction of yours around - beautiful!! Neil and Reg and Mika loved it!! You're hired....

    Hey, I heard from Bryan Windle at ABK that Angie might be coming to camp (Youth)

    Interested>>>


    Brian

     
  • At 2:44 PM , Anonymous GpS said...

    Great post, erin! Glad you got to play some Vball...hope you showed 'em a thing or two!

    I was really touched by your observations about us North Americans being so stinkin' selfish. I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the reminder!

    We're praying for ya! Come back soon!

    All your GpS Friends!

     
  • At 4:27 PM , Blogger Meggan said...

    Hi Erin,
    You are so right. People are so lazy now a days that it is sickening. We read a paper in anthropology class this week and it was talking about this woman who was stabbed three times and no one helped her, but everyone knew that she was being attacked. Very horrific. Also in that class there is an interesting poster saying that people are lazy, but its cool the way its written. I will write it down and tell it to you laters.

    You are right about using all of the talents that we posses to help people. You playing sports with them brought them joy. THat is HUGE and amazing. God is amazing and I agree where are his people? Whats the name of that song and it goes something like "If we are the body, then why aren't his hands healin" something like that. I am very proud of you Erin, and I miss you very very much.

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sperin,...
    Reading your blog reminds me that we have a misson field right where we are and we can't be selfish with our time, money or possessions, as they are indeed not ours at all.
    I love you and miss you and am praying for you! Keep on making a difference for our Great Master and King, AKA Father. And, it may all seem overwhelming at times, but it's not up to you to change the hearts of the people. You are called only to be faithful, which you have been!!! Keep on keeping on, for there will never again be another day like this one!
    Love, Angie

     
  • At 4:31 AM , Blogger Ed Doerksen said...

    Erin and Friends

    Just a quick note, I would ask that prayers be said for my father who took ill this morning and had to be rushed to hospital.

    Not sure what is going on yet, but it would appear to be a mild stroke at the present time.

    My thanks goes out to everyone.

    Take care. We may be strangers, but being brothers and sisters in Christ alone makes us family.

     
  • At 8:24 AM , Blogger Ed Doerksen said...

    just an up date for everyone:

    I brought my father home from the hospital. Apparently he suffered something between a heart attack and a stroke (according to doctors) that brought on a mild but small eppilleptic like siezure. All this was brought about by the world of stress.

    Again I want to thank everyone for your prayers.

    Interesting that I thought of you Erin and your friends. I know that the power of prayer is more than what doctors or anyone can understand.

    Thanks again everyone.

     
  • At 3:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is very interesting site...
    » » »

     
  • At 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

  • At 1:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home