JASON & ERIN STEWART

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

So I'm a good writter but poor speller....

I hope no one has been too worried in my absence. I am safe and doing well in Kigali. I have been so busy with the team being here. Man they totally rock my world. They are so funny. I am seriously gonna miss them hard core when they leave on friday.

So your wondering what I have been up to. So many things. Man I need my journal here so I can remember. And yes aunt Lori I have been keeping up with the journal daily! Well mostly daily:)

I will tell you of one thing that I did with the teams here. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done. Just outside Kigali are 2 memorial sites. Both churches.
The first church we came to was overwhelming. At this church 5000 people were killed inside and another 10 000 outside. Walking into the church literally took my breath away. The church was left as is. Clothing, bones, and dust (from human remains) litered the ground. We walked throught the church on benches carefull not to step on what remained of those 5000 people. This I can say was the hardest thing I have ever done and the worst thing I have ever seen. I imagined the screams and horror that took place. It is sickening! The brutal way these people died. Of that church there were only 2 survivors! 2 out of 15 000!!!! One woman who hid under bodies for 2 weeks before venturing out, and one man who hide in nearby bushes for 2 months!
The second church was cleaned up, and 'taken care of' by Chantal, the only survivor of that massocure. While physically alive, she seemed to be dead. She walked away when she saw any of us cry. She took Suzanna to a wall and said 'this is where the soldiers took the babies', when she saw the tears in Suzanna's eyes she walked away. I wrestled with how she must be feeling and how she could possible move on. It rocked me to my core. At that church 10 000 were killed inside and another 15 000 outside. It literally make me sick to think of the disgusting things that happened in those churches.
There was a special casket for one of the victums at the second church. She had been empalled with a poll (from her vagina) and left to die. Her baby was still on her back.
Since the visit tothe memorials I have wrestled with numberous questions. Some I know may never be answered. But as devestating and heart wrenching as the genocide stories are, there is hope and life in Rwanda! Rwanda is not dead it is very much alive!!! God is moving and working here!!! I see it daily!
I don't have much time online today but now that I am well. That you have encouraged me beyond words and that God loves you! God has blessed the westeren world and its time we start giving back.
Until next time. I love and miss you.
Erin

7 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    it's so hard to post comments after blogs like that. im just posting to let you know that i am a faithful reader...
    i love ya and miss ya erin!

    vaness

     
  • At 12:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Erin, that was so powerful! I just wanted you to know that I continue to pray for you as you are doing the work God has set before you. Keep up the good work!

    Love,
    Alicia<><

     
  • At 1:07 PM , Anonymous Mel D said...

    Erin-
    I've been reading you blogs all along. I'm so encouraged by your ministry and the work that God is doing in your life and the lives of others. I know some things are tough, especially going to those churches. I know I often find myself wondering "where was God when all this was going on?" We know that he never leaves us and in fact, he never stops caring about his children. In John Jesus is talking about how the the disciples' greif will turn to Joy (making reference to when he will die on the cross). I found the last couple of verses in John 16:33 to be encouraging. It says "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
    I think it's so important to remember that whatever people may do, like the genocides in Rawanda, we can experience joy because jesus Trumps it all because he died for us and defeated the world.
    I will be praying for you and your ministry in Rawanda! I miss you loads and we will miss you at camp this summer.
    XOXO
    Mel

     
  • At 3:02 PM , Blogger Ed Doerksen said...

    Erin: your posting is so touching. I heard of these churches but never heard anything more of them.

    Yes there are many questions, and many of them will go unanswered. It is so difficult to imagine when we sit here in the safety of our homes and churches, not realizing that genocides still go on.

    Where is God in all of this? How do we see God in all of this? Well you have answered these questions with your posting. You have and are witnessing God's hand in His marvelous works amongst human tradgedy and suffering.

    Reguardless if you realise it or not, you have been moved and blest at the same time, for you have moved and blest us with your report.

    Take care.

    See you again next week.

     
  • At 8:47 PM , Anonymous ariel said...

    ERRRRIIINNN
    That's crazy, God is good though, atleast we can say that! It kinda sucks thats my first comment is in this one... those are some sad/ crappy circumstances. I wanna be happy and Excited, becuase it's my first comment, but that would almost seem emotionless or heartless. Anyways, I miss you like crazy so i cant wait to see you in Sugust at Galilean, ill try and read your blogs more. Im so proud of you and that may not be much coming from someone younger then you but still. Youre awesome. Love ya
    -ariel

     
  • At 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Where did you find it? Interesting read » »

     
  • At 12:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a great site film editing classes

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home