JASON & ERIN STEWART

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Hotel Rwanda and Goodbyes

Hotel Rwanda
I had the unique oportunity to watch Hotel Rwanda in Rwanda. The movie came out just before I left Canada and never made it to Sudbury before I had to leave. I think hat that was a good thing though. I had expected to be crying the entire time but I only teared up a bit at the end. I think it was a great movie and effectiver expressed some bold/true comments.
The emotion I experienced the most during the movie was anger. The scene where all the foreigners are rescued made me so angry. Had those soldiers stayed, genocide would not have occured. I think the reason I didn't cry more was that all the killings and brutality that went on was not news to me. I have been to the genocide memorial twice, stood in churches where thousands where slaughtered. I guess there wasn't the 'shock' factor for me. The part of the movie where I did tear up was when the RPF soldiers were protecting the transferring Tutsis. 2 of my best friends here were RPF soldiers and as I looked into the faces of those actors I could see their faces. The more time I spend with them the more they become my heros! They are like brothers to me and knowing that they went though something so awesome breaks my heart. Watching the movie here, in Rwanda, made it very very personnal! If you haven't yet watched the movie I strongly encourage you to do so...I would also love to hear your thoughts on the movie.

Goodbyes
As my time here comes to an end I am both excited and sad. I experienced my first set of goodbyes at the preschool on friday morning. It was there closing day so it was barely half the morning. We sang our regular songs and then went in side for the kids to get their reports. Harriet (a teacher) had one of the girls pray for me, it was an incredible special moment, and surprisingly enough I managed to keep it together. We met with the teachers and pastor afterwards and I though 'wow I am doing good, I can make it with out crying'...oh foolish me. Harriet prayed for me, and it moved me to tears. There was so much passion in her voice, and so much love. We hugged goodbye, and Harriet began to cry. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a Rwandan woman cry. I never realized the impact I had on the teachers. I knew the kids loved me and would miss me, but I didn't think that I had made such an impact on the teachers. We stood hugging and crying together. It was really amazing to me. I was so blessed.

Well I know that this next week and a half will be full of more tearful goodbyes. I'm such a sap! Please remember me these next 10days here in Rwanda and my LONG 2 days of travelling. I will definitely be needing them in the following days.

Please know that every person that has been touch by me here is a direct result of your support back home. Though your support you are ministering to the people here in Rwanda. I am so grateful for your love and support. It has gotten me through some 'rough' times here. I could never epress how much you all mean to me but I hope that you understand that I am so grateful for your kindness.

Love Always,
Teacha Erin:)

"As iron sharpens iron,
so one man sharpens another."
~ Proverbs 27:17

P.S. 11 days till my birthday

3 Comments:

  • At 9:48 AM , Blogger Ed Doerksen said...

    Erin, you are truly blessed. You have seen the result of your own love and compassion which is awsome. You are a special person for sure. I am so glad that I stumbled on your blog page.

    Thank you for letting me be a part of your postings. It was been a blessing for me to read and to share.

    In case I don't get back to the computer, as I'll be working for the next 9 days straight, I want to wish you a happy birthday, safe journies, and God's blessings.

    Take care. I hope you continue posting.

     
  • At 12:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is very interesting site... lamborghini countach lp400s for sell

     
  • At 8:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's a great story. Waiting for more. film editing schools

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home