JASON & ERIN STEWART

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Monday, August 01, 2005

Gisenyi

Gisenyi was great! Man I haven’t been so relaxed in a long time. We headed out for Gisenyi on Friday at around lunch. The Bus was not too bad and the view was gorgeous! I always pictured africa as this hot dry barron dessert place. Well its hot and dry Rwanda is all hill and beauty. It’s a beautiful country.
We arrived in Gisenyi just before dark, and met up with Serge’s brother Chris for dinner. I had pizza and it was really good. We went back to the hotel and headed to bed. Our hotel, the Palm Beach, was right on the beach and as I lay in bed I could hear the sound of the waves crashing against the beach. It brought me back to my summers at Galilean. That sound is such a beautiful and peacefull sound!
Later that night I was woken up by a loud crack, and I heard a sound I had heard before but for the life of me I couldn’t figure out what it was. That strange wonderful sound was the sound of RAIN hitting the roof. IT RAINED!!! I just layed in bed listening to it. Unfortunately it still hasn’t rained here in Kigali, but because Gisenyi is on Lake Kivu it gets more rain, and is a bit cooler.
The next morning we went for a walk. We headed towards the Congo border and could see Goma, the bordering Congo city from where we were standing. It was pretty cool.
We spent saturday at the Kivu Sun, a hotel with a nice pool. I felt like a kid playing in the water. And I was smart about the sun. I didn't get burned...actually I didn't get any colour...my legs are still sickly white...please don't make too much fun, well it is really funny so I guess you can laugh it up!
We finally left the pool at about 6:30pm and headed back to our hotel (which was literally a 2 minute walk). Chris joined us again and we played some games, ate some dinner, and I broke a chair(quite an embarassing/really hilarious moment which I do not want to talk about at the present time), then went to bed.
Sunday Lindsay and I headed to the pool again for a few more swims. Jen and Deb joined us after and then we headed for the bus to leave for 3:30pm. The bus back was a little pack but not too bad. We arrived safely back in Kigali are 6:30pm and after dinner were in bed around 10ish. It was such an awesome, refreshing weekend!

Jason Dunbar gets a very special mention today in the blog. That's right, that awesome guy sent me not only a sweet letter, but he also got friends from camp to write me notes and sent those along too. I was really touched and encouraged by his thoughtfullness.
Thanks so much Jay, that meant so much to me! You're awesome!!!

So 2 full days left in Rwanda and as I prepare for more goodbyes, I also know that there are open arms and many hellos waiting for me in Canada. As I read the comments today I teared up. Aiden I am counting my sleeps too! And I can't wait to see you boys, I miss you so much!

Well I will do internet one more time here in Rwanda and I hear that Ethiopia has internet at the airport (I have a 12 hour layover so that might waste sometime). So keep reading and comment. I will not stop blogging after I am done here. I will let you know of my transition back to Canada and adventures as I go home. So stay posted.

I love you all so much and I am so looking forward to seeing you again. Please remember me as I will be saying many goodbyes in the next 2 days.

With much love,
Erin

1 Comments:

  • At 4:38 PM , Blogger Ed Doerksen said...

    I am glad to see that you are enjoying your trip home. It is good to relax and enjoy the view, taking in the sights and just having a great time.

    Happy belated Birthday Erin, I hope it was a really great day for you.

    You're such a special person to have all these friends write you and keep you in their hearts. I know you will have a great day when you arrive home. There will be many happy tears as you see everyone you love and cherish.

    There will also be tears of joy when you think back on the many friends you made in Rwanda and the experience you have encountered.

    There is nothing that will replace what you have learned at first hands. What is more, you have an insight into a world that no one else has experienced.

    You're a wonderful young woman. I hope that your friends realize how special you are if they haven't done so already.

    God bless you and encourage you as you continue in your studies and in your future adventures in life.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home