LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Home sweet home!

I have arrived back home in Canada safely. Shall I entertain you with my traveling stories ... here we go.

Wednesday morning I woke up at 4am and laid in bed till my alarm went off at 4:30am. Morning had come so early! We headed to the airport at 5am and we said our goodbyes. The night before I had to say goodbye to Evelyn, Deborah, Daniel. Not an easy thing to do. And just a note; Goodbye is the biggest oxymoron in the world... byes are never good!
So back to the story I waved goodbye to Jen and Lindsay and was on my adventure home. My flight out left between 7:15 and 7:30am. I was supposed to fly out at 6:30am, I chuckled to myself. The flight to our quick stop in Uganda was hard. I stuggled with the emotions of saying goodbye. When we landed in Uganda and the plane began to fill up, 2 girls from the US sat with me. They were awesome, sent by God! We started talking. They were travelling in a few countries; Kenya, Uganda. They had done missionary work in different countries and we got to talking. Somehow I just felt like I could tlak to them, not sure if it's cause they listened or I could see in their eyes that they actually cared but I could'nt stop talking. It was so awesome. Some more debriefing time.
We arrived in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and started the most frustrating part of my journey. In Addis, I had a scheduled 12 hour layover. They seperate you into groups according to your destination. Last time it took about 30-45 minutes. This time we didn't leave the airport until 4 hours after being seperated into our groups. At this point I am laughing and doing ok. Hanging out with my new airport friends was fun. When we got to the hotel and got our rooms I was feeling pretty tired. I went into my room and started putting my bag down and getting ready to relax. Suddenly I heard a noice from the bathroom. "Hello" I said, "oh is this your room?" came the response. "Yeah, it is". There was a guy in my room, using my bathroom. And stinking up the place...seriously nasty.
Finally I was alone in my room and very ready for sleep. I crawl into bed and laid there...and laid there...and laid there. 6 hours at that hotel and not a minute of sleep. Frustrated I jumped onto the bus very tired. We were back at the airport at around 9:30pm. My flight was supposed to leave at 11:30pm so I was thinking I still had plenty of time. I caught up with my new friends again and hung out until my flight was called to board at 10:30pm. Thinking my flight left at 11:30pm I said goodbye to my friends and went into the boarding room. I was thinking things were a little odd when the plane was nowhere in sight at 11:15pm. By 11:30 my curiousity had turned into irratation, there was no plane around and even the flight crew was just waiting around. 12:30pm no plane, 1:30 no plane, 1:45 plane arrives and passengers and cargo are being unloaded. By 2:00am we are finally boarding the plane.
When I arrived in Ethiopia I was 22...when I left I was 23! Yep my birthday started in Ethiopia.
Now I know that being tired may have been a factor but truthfully I was just down right grumpy and that's how I wanted to be. The guy sitting in front of my didn't help the situation or my mood. I was feeling so squished and uncomfortable. I tried so hard to sleep and I was so exhausted but I just couldn't do it. I finally gave up and just watched movies for the rest of the flight.
Because of the delay in Ethiopia we landed late in Frankfurt. My big plan and birthday present to myself was to shower in Germany. But due to the delay I didn't have enough time and ended up just changing clothes and
washing my face, not exactly the clean feeling I was looking for. Tired but excited I found my way to my Air Canada boarding gate. While in line I chatted it up with a guy from Vancouver. He told me about the Air France crash and a few other air accidents. And as we were boarding the plane to go to Toronto they were actually showing the crash. My new friend and I look at each other and laughed, great timing.
At this point I still haven't slept but the excitement and adrenoline is pumping and I am ready to get home. Once again I got a window seat, infact every flight to and from Rwanda was a window seat, which was good.
Anyways the guy sitting next to me guards American Diplomates and has spent the last 3 months in Iraq. It was awesome to sit and chat with him about his experiences all over the world and recently in Iraq. While the flight was long chatting with him made it seem so much shorter.
So thursday August 4th at 1:30pm I arrived back in my home and native land. My Aunt Eunice was to pick me up but my parents also arrived to surprise me. We went out for dinner and then Dairy Queen for dessert. By 9:00pm I was sacked and ready to sleep. After 48 hours of being awake I was finally able to crawl into a nice comfy bed and get some much needed sleep.
The past few days I have been chatting up with friends and family and I must say that I love seeing everyone again.
On friday I head out east with Angie Brohart for a 9 day road trip, then I am at Galilean for a week, then ABK then school starts...nothing like taking it easy.

I promise to have more about Rwanda and the culture shock I experience. So far so good but we'll see how things go. Thank you once again for all your supports. Your prayers have been my lifeline in Rwanda and have toughed my heart deeply. I can never thank you enough for your kindness and thoughtfullness. You have blessed me more than you can possible imagine. So for that, I thank you.

With so much love,


  • At 5:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i am so glad that i have 'toughed' your heart 'deeply'. haha. i dunno, while you were away the deep thoughts seemed fitting, but now that i've seen you and chatted it up...about gas and whatnot, the deep sentiment that once was fitting, is no longer. haha. well edot, good blog. you told me in person, but it is conveyed much better in blog format... some i didn't even know about! anywhoo...so glad you're back safe and sound. i think you're adjusting just fine. shouldnt be any probs i dont think. but ya, i'll see ya later...prolly tonight. haha..
    love ya,

  • At 10:33 AM , Blogger Ed Doerksen said...

    Erin: glad that you're home. Again you have gained many experiances that have enriched your life.

    Have a good semester and take the rest you have earned.

    All the best for your birthday

    Take care and God bless.

  • At 1:42 PM , Anonymous Theresa said...


    I was so glad to read your blog today. I'm glad that your travels were well (minus the lack of sleep and the man in the bathroom). Even your flights sounded interesting with all the people you met.

    Okay, so I know I got all your hopes up, and now we can't come to youth camp. But I tell you, I am supposed to be in Sudbury some time this fall for some volleyball try-outs. I am planning on staying either a couple days or a week...depending on how many people want to get together and have a visit...so all you Sudbury and Area peeps, if you know me, and want to hook up when I pop into Sudbury for a few days, email me at birniet@yahoo.ca

    Erin, I am so excited for the possibility of getting to visit with you, and see all your pics. If I am in Sudbury... you def better make the time for me!!! Or beware the wrath of Theresa :P

    I am also glad that, when you are at youth camp, you will be safe. I will not be there to lead you off the paths for the sunset/sunrise hike. No need to sound the fog horn...we're dumb. Hopefully no one at camp will be as evil as I to lead you astray.

    Peace Out E.


  • At 2:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I didn't forget just couldn't get to the internet...I am super glad you got back safe and sound....I got back here to HOnduras safe and sound too...after I got to see the wreckage of the plane that crashed at the end of the runway at Person. So crazy seeing a plane all burnt on the ground below you as you take off. All is well though and i'm back to work already. I sad I didnt' get to see you at all, maybe at christmas. Well I got to see angie and she was telling me about your upcoming trip..sounds like soo much fun i wish i could join you too. Take lots of pics and share some stories..love to hear them. neways time to go home...getting ready for a frisbee game :) taking it easy though b/c i'm recoving from a wisdom tooth extraction..and other injuries :(
    miss ya erin
    Heidi 8)

  • At 2:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great to hear that you are back home safe and sound. It doesn't surprise me one bit that you are already running around and up to all sorts of adventrues. Have a great time at GBC and make sure you liv'n things up! Way to represent! luv ya and miss ya! Mel
    Ps- I'm glad my letter got to you before you left... I know I was cutting it shrot!

  • At 6:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home