JASON & ERIN STEWART

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Lest We Forget


I never fully appreciated being born in Canada until I did not live in Canada. The freedoms that we think are normal for most people infact are not. These freedoms we can experience are in part because of the sacrifices made by men and women who fought and gave their lives so we might live.
I am very proud to say that my grandparents fought for that freedom. There is nothing I can do to thank them and their fellow veterans for the sacrifice they made. The only thing I can think of to make those sacrifices worthwhile is to live my life in the same way, to enjoy that freedom and to fight for each day.
Thank you!

"IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields."


~Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918) Canadian Army

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home